Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hans Wegner at auction.


yesterday my mom called me to share an article my gram had clipped from the newspaper. Skinners auction house, boston ma. recently had an auction filled with 20th century furniture and decorative arts. 


one of the lots included 8 hans wegner cow horn chairs. here is the auction houses description for the chairs 
Eight Hans Wegner Cow Horn Chairs
Teak, rosewood, leather
Made by Johannes Hansen, Copenhagen, Denmark, c. 1958
Cow horn shaped backrest with rosewood finger joints, black leather dipped seat raised on four tapering legs with front and back stretcher, metal label, some wear, back ht. 29, seat ht. 17 1/2, wd. 20 3/4, back wd. 23, dp. approx. 18 in.





 and they garnered a dazzling 57,000 dollars when the hammer dropped. I wish i could have been present for this event - can you even imagine. I bet the energy level was so high!! 57K for eight chairs - thats a little over 7k per chair. HOLY *%$! 


i just find the whole thing so amazing. and of course there is my long standing obsession with the wegner wishbone chairs. better snatch some up soon i guess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment