Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Fruits of Labor: breaking the mold


 i have a soft spot for vintage molds (here). There is a scene in the first season of downtown abbey when daisy carefully releases a jelly from its mold... i pretty much die at that scene. 


At the moment I am fostering a mold and its gorgeous, handmade and has the loveliest cherries crafted into the top. Its pretty much been screaming at me to use it but truthfully i was a little intimidated and unsure. Insert christmas present from my mom (donna hay's seasons), a slightly modified recipe, a little bit of luck and.... magic. 

It was my fist ever panna cotta and I must admit it was much easier than I expected. I did take a bit of the easy route and made a simple vanilla version. But I was elated as I carefully released the mold and there was this perfectly formed bit of sweetness..... i pretty much died at the scene. 
Sorry for the terrible night shot but this lovely was not going to last till morning. 



Recipe Adapted From Donna Hay


2 teaspoons powdered gelatine
2 Tablespoons milk
1 C of cream
1 C of milk (i used 1%)
1/3 C brown sugar
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
and a mold or molds of some sort that can facilitate 2 1/2 cups or 1 1/4 cups each. Lightly Greased 


place the gelatine and 2 tablespoons of milk in a small bowl, stir to combine and allow to stand for 2-3 minutes or until gelatine has dissolved. Place the cream, 1 cup of milk, brown sugar and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil and remove from heat. Add in the gelatine and whisk to combine. Set aside to cool


Pour the cream mixture into your lightly greased  mold/s and refrigerate for 4-6 hours or until set. carefully run the tip of a sharp knife around the rim of the mold. invert onto plate/ or plates 








to find the mold i used in my shop

No comments:

Post a Comment